Endodontists are dentists specially trained in the deep structure of your tooth, or the pulp and roots. Your dentist will refer you to an endodontist if you are experiencing severe pain, as this is often a sign that you need a root canal, one of the main procedures they perform.
When Do You Need an Endodontist?
One of the main signs that you need specialized help is severe tooth pain. Particularly if you experience pain when you apply pressure to a tooth, you may need to make an appointment with an endodontist. Other signs include:
- Sensitivity to hot and cold
- Tenderness or swelling along the gum line
Root Canal Treatments
There is a lot of unfair negativity surrounding the idea of getting a root canal. In reality, they will make you feel better, not worse. They are one of the most routine dental procedures. The process will invovle:
- Your dentist will take an X-ray of your teeth in order to get a thorough understanding of the issue.
- You will receive a local anesthetic to make the procedure pain-free.
- The endodontist will make a small incision in your tooth in oder to remove all the decayed pulp from inside.
- Your dentist will assess whether to leave the tooth open so it can drain, or seal it.
What Other Services Do Endodontists Offer?
- Endodontic Retreatment: In 10% of cases, patients still experience pain after their root canal procedure. Your endodontist will need to reopen your tooth and reassess the root canal.
- Apicoectomy: Also known as a root end resection, this is a surgery that removes decaying and inflamed tissue.
- Pulp Vitality Testing: As the name might suggest, this is a way to test the health of your pulp. This procedure is usually performed to determine whether a root canal will help you.
Schedule Your Appointment
38th Modern Dental partners with Colorado Endodontic Group to provide endodontic services to our patients. Our dentists and endodontists work collaboratively in order to provide personalized care to each of our patients.
To get started with our services, you can schedule your appointment online or by calling 303-515-7008.